Wednesday 11 March 2020

The Place Beyond The Pines - Not everyone's cup of tea

I've read some reviews of `The Place Beyond the Pines' where people have either loved it, or wanted to turn it off after ten minutes. I have to say that I kind of agree with both sides. I wanted to turn it off after ten minutes, but decided to stick with it and I'm glad I did.

It's no big secret that the film is - loosely - split into three acts, each focusing on one person out of an overall story which covers all three. How much you like it will depend on which character you find the most interesting. Personally, I found Bradley Cooper's story the most engaging, therefore I enjoyed the film because of the middle segment, but everyone will have their own favourite.

Oddly enough, most people like Ryan Gosling's character/segment the best, but I found it a bit of a chore. I definitely think there's a good movie here, but most people will probably prefer one or two of the segments more interesting than the remaining one.

It's not a short film, so be prepared for a bit of a sit-in to fully appreciate it. Plus there are a few bits that slow the pace down a little. However, I felt - when the tension finally builds - that it's a pretty impressive (and even bold?) piece of film-making which deserve to be enjoyed (but possibly not by everyone).

7/10 if I woke up on Groundhog Day and had to watch this again, I could live with that

No comments:

Post a Comment