Sunday 22 March 2020

The Golden Voyage of Sinbad - I'm glad I stuck with it

Sinbad was made just a few years before I was born. A lot of my (slightly) older friends speak very highly of this adaptation and reminisce about it with much fondness. Throughout my childhood I managed to accidentally catch the odd few minutes here and there and, I have to say, I always liked what I saw.

This is the first time I have ever seen the whole film. In short, I was bored. The first half dragged and I found myself idly browsing my laptop for other things to amuse me. I was just on the verge of turning it off when it suddenly picked up.

Ultimately, I'm glad I stuck with it (and not just for Caroline Munro's outfit). The second half features much more action, better sets, many more monsters and even a bit of tension thrown in there.

It's a good romp. I'd give it a solid 3/5. But I'm guessing that if I'd watched it more when I was younger I'd probably regard it with a bit more nostalgia (like I do with the awful Star Crash *blushes*). You have to like a bit of cheesiness to sit through it, but, if you can appreciate the time and effort put into the sets and monsters, you might get something out of it.

Did I mention Caroline Munro's costume?

7/10 if I woke up on Groundhog Day and had to watch this again, I could live with that

No comments:

Post a Comment