Sunday 29 March 2020

Chronicle - Surprisingly awesome 

I hated this film. And then after about 15-20 minutes I absolutely loved it.

This is one of those `filmed from a video camera' movies (think Blair Witch and Cloverfield). This, on its own, bugged me, but not as much as the main character - who really annoyed me. That was until I realised he was actually meant to be pretty annoying. Then he becomes funny. He films his family at home. And gets beaten up for it. He also constantly films he fellow pupils at school. And gets beaten up for it. He goes to parties, films people there, and generally gets beaten up because of it. He's a complete idiot - not the sort of person you want to get super powers.

Unfortunately, he and two others then go on to get super powers. He's still an idiot, but, from being the poor, hard-done-by outsider, becomes something much darker and this is where the fun really starts.

I thought Chronicle was going to be some sort of `Heroes' clone all about teenagers. And, despite being about teenagers is much darker than its contemporaries.

It's one of those films that, if I was telling a friend about I, I'd only tell them that its great and worth-seeing. I'd try to avoid too many plot details as I'd want anyone who watches it to go into it not knowing too much about it.

A great watch. So glad I didn't turn it off after 15-20 minutes. A lesson for my attention span indeed.

9/10 almost as perfect as The Godfather

No comments:

Post a Comment