Sunday 1 March 2020

Piranha DD - Dumb, silly and almost quite good fun 

I have to confess at actually really enjoying the first recent Piranha film. It was everything I expected - gratuitous, daft and plenty of blood flowing.

Therefore, I was quite happy to sit down and watch the sequel, expecting more of the same. To be fair, I got it, however, it just didn't seem to have worked this time.

What I got was a blatant Jaws clone - instead of a man trying to shut the beach because of a great white shark, you have a girl trying to shut a new fun pool because of the piranhas. I don't know whether this was some sort of `homage' to the superior Jaws movie, or whether it was sloppy writing. Either way, it just didn't sit well with me.

Yes, there is gore and plenty of women in bikinis, but it just didn't feel as fresh the second time round.

David Hasselhoff is in it, happy to lampoon himself, which goes some way to squeeze in a few extra laughs in the second half.

It's short too, just over an hour. You'd have thought they could have fitted better in, but, sadly, it was a bit of a let down.

I don't regret watching Piranha DD. It kept me entertained, but, if you're looking for blood, carnage and bikinis - just stick to watching the first one. You won't miss anything by not seeing this.

6/10 May just keep you awake if Freddy Krueger was haunting your nights

No comments:

Post a Comment