Sunday 22 March 2020

Kick-Ass 2 - Enjoyed it more than the original

Okay, I’ll start by confessing that I’m possibly the ONLY person in the world who HATED Kick Ass (1). I really don’t know why I bothered to watch the sequel, but, for some reason, I’m really glad I did. It just seemed to be everything that the first one wasn’t. I found it cleverer, funnier, more action-packed and more (and I think this is the word I’m looking for) ‘real’ than the original.

If you don’t know, Kick Ass 2 is about a gang of everyday folk who decide that they’ve had enough with crime and therefore don suits and ‘fight back.’ Of course, not being blessed with Spiderman or Superman’s powers, they have to make do with wetsuits for costumes and baseball bats for weapons. I found it was at its best when it was showing how these sorts of ‘superheroes’ would be portrayed by the media and how they would find life really trying to do what they do.

If you’re wondering how much Jim Carrey is in it, I think it adds up to about seven minutes of screen time. He famously distanced himself from the film after starring in it due to its violent content – a strange action. After all, the original was pretty violent and you’d think he would have read the script before he signed on!

Anyway, if you like action-satires then I think that would describe this film best. Interestingly enough, I seem to be in the minority (yet again) in my praise for Kick Ass 2. Most fans seem to view it as inferior to the original. Personally, I thought it was everything the original should have been.

8/10 The Force is definitely strong with this one

No comments:

Post a Comment