Monday 22 February 2021

The Devil's Knot - Interesting, but slightly disturbing subject matter

Okay, so I’ll admit that I’m writing this review as a parent of a small child.  That way, you may understand that watching a film about a child who’s kidnapped and murdered is always going to affect me more.  Plus this actually happened.  ‘The Devil’s Knot’ is based on a real incident in American in 1993 when three boys were found murdered in a small town and three teenage boys were subsequently arrested.

By all accounts the film is actually quite close to the truth, or at least, what is perceived as the truth.  Obviously there is some ambiguity as to the accused’s guilt, that way there is some proper interest in the story.  Colin Firth plays the investigator who doubts the ‘open and shut’ of the case and starts looking a little deeper into what transpired, rather than just following the inevitable thirst for *any* blood from the local townsfolk.  The first thing that struck me was that he did an American accent well.  I’m not aware of any other film where he’s put on a U.S. accent and he did it pretty well.
Reece Witherspoon is one of the grieving mothers and plays a naturally sympathetic role well, drawing on her ability to pull off a decent southern American accent.

As the ‘killers’ are quickly apprehended, much of the film is centred around the following trial and courtroom battle.

Basically, the film is an extended courtroom drama, so, if you’re into those, you should enjoy it.  Personally, I could have done without seeing the moment when the youngsters are ‘found’ – it’s quite upsetting, based on how real it looks.  But then that’s just me speaking as possible an overprotective parent.

All in all, a good film – difficult subject matter and handled well in a balanced way.  I’m not sure I’d want to watch it again, but I don’t feel like I’ve wasted the two hours I invested in it.

7/10 if I woke up on Groundhog Day and had to watch this again, I could live with that

No comments:

Post a Comment