Thursday 4 February 2021

Despicable Me 2 - Good silly fun

After the success of `Despicable Me' (1) a sequel was only a matter of time. If you didn't see the first, it was about - what most people would describe as - you `pretty clichéd Bond villain,' (aka `Gru') complete with lair and army of incompetent minions. Only his plans for world domination and chaos are thwarted when he adopts three orphan girls. If you can believe that, you probably enjoyed what followed.

Now, we find him making jelly instead of nerve gas and taking his girls to the park. However, because he's turned good, he's recruited by the good-guys to take on a `real' supervillain. And, naturally, this time round he meets a `love interest' along the way.

The bottom line is that the kids will love this. It kept my nine year old daughter entertained for hours. It's silly, colourful, loud, easy to follow and packed full of delightful animation and visual gags. Plus it contains a healthy dose of spoofing of Bond-type films which will be picked up by the adults.

If you have kids, they'll love it and you shouldn't mind watching it with them (a few time, too!). I have to say that, although I enjoyed it, I didn't think it was up to the (high) standards of the Toy Story and Shrek franchises. Even thought I love Steve Carell, if I had my way, I wouldn't watch this more than once. However, that's not an option as my daughter is currently wearing out the DVD in the player.

8/10 The Force is definitely strong with this one

No comments:

Post a Comment