Thursday 30 July 2020

The Iron Lady - Love her / hate her - you probably won't change your opinion here 

I should point out that I was about fourteen years old when Mrs Thatcher was forced out of office. Therefore, I spent my childhood with her as the Prime Minister. Now, several years later, I find myself watching the film `The Iron Lady' - the first major filmic portrayal of her life.
Was it any good? Well... sort of.

During my childhood, I took about as much interest in politics as the next fourteen-year-old, but, amazingly, I find myself in the position that I actually know more about Mrs Thatcher's life than is shown in the film. This is the movie's main failing. It takes a handful of her major successes/failings, pads them out for ten minutes each then it ends. The rest is Mrs Thatcher as she is now - suffering with dementia and talking to the `ghost' of her husband (okay, he's not technically a ghost - he's in her mind, but it's shot like he's sort of a ghost).

If I could rate this film on Meryl Streep's performance alone, then it would get 5/5. She captures Margaret Thatcher to a tee. However, that's all this film is. It's a showcase for Meryl Streep's excellent acting talent, but leaving out most of the important points of the woman she's supposed to be portraying.

If you don't know much about the life of Mrs Thatcher then this won't tell you much more than you probably already know. As an informative piece, it offers very little. As a story, it's a bit corny with the `dead husband' bit constantly driving the story forward. As a career highlight on Steep's already formidable CV, it can't be beat.

6/10 May just keep you awake if Freddy Kruger was haunting your nights

No comments:

Post a Comment