Thursday 16 July 2020

See No Evil - Nothing special, but not bad

I’m actually writing this review after my second viewing of ‘See No Evil.’ The reason being is because I like slasher films and I rented this again because I’d forgotten I’d seen it!  That kind of gives you a clue as to the impact the film originally had on me.

It’s about a bus-load of unusually-attractive young convicts (all girls look like models and all lads are rugged and good-looking) who are allowed out of the youth detention centre for a weekend in order to help clean an abandoned hotel.  Naturally, this location just happens to be inhabited by a complete nutter who likes to pluck youngsters’ eyes out and keep them in jars (guess it beats stamp collecting?).

With modern slasher films, it seems that most try to go either one of two ways: they either play it straight and everything’s really dark and serious.  Or they go for the over-the-top effect and it’s a bit tongue in cheek with blatantly-stupid gore etc.  See No Evil goes for the former.  It’s all dark and gloomy.  And, to be fair, the atmosphere is good.  It’s all very dark and claustrophobic and the sets are nicely foreboding.

However, the gore itself is nothing special.  There’s little more to mention than in your average (original) Friday 13th film.

The youngsters who run about the place screaming and generally dying are functional.  They do their job well.  The adults in the group are pretty much redundant and you’ll probably see the twist coming a mile off.

But, if you’re into slasher films, this one is definitely not down there with the worst of them, but, like I said, I watched it once, forgot I had done and then accidentally watched it again.  Not that I regret it, it’s just the sort of film that will get lost among the many slasher films any fan of the genre has seen.
Special mention to ‘Kane’ who plays the killer well.

6/10 Should probably keep you awake if Freddy Krueger was haunting your nights

No comments:

Post a Comment