Thursday 9 July 2020

Grave Encounters - Who are you gonna' call? (not these guys)

I hear there's plenty of `ghost-hunting' shows on cable TV stations these days (I can't name any, because I deliberately don't watch them, but I hear there's a fair few). Grave Encounters is a kind of Blair Witch Project set in a lunatic asylum. A documentary film crew go there to continue making a series of ghost-hunting programmes, only to find - guess what - they get locked in and find that there's something really real there after all (surprise!).

If you liked Blair Witch, or Cloverfield, or any movie filmed entirely on handheld camera, then you might like this. It's not bad. Like the others in its genre, it's well-acted. You can believe that the cast are really getting freaked out. The first half of the film is basically scene-setting - not many scares. Then it picks up in the second half with plenty of screaming into the camera and shaky footage of something nasty, lurking in the shadows ready to make you jump.

Like I say, if you're into these sorts of films, you'll probably enjoy it - it's certainly not at the bottom of the pile when it comes to these sorts of `mock reality' films. I just found myself thinking that I'd seen all this before, just set in a wood somewhere. At least there are no close-up shots of noses running. These ghostbusters must have packed enough Kleenex.

6/10 May just keep you awake if Freddy Kruger was haunting your nights

No comments:

Post a Comment