Tuesday 28 July 2020

Powder Blue - Crash's distant cousin

The film `Crash' was a hit, as it used multiple characters' individual narratives to intertwine a story which all ties up together. Here, `Powder Blue' attempts to do the same - with mixed results.

First of all, I didn't like it. But it is quite a long film and I persevered. Now, looking back on it, I'm glad I did. It's not as good as Crash and it is kind of overloaded with sentimentality - every scene seems to be trying to get you to cry for each and every character. Perhaps it was nice to see some Hollywood characters feeling as down and miserable as the rest of us?

Either way, the performances are pretty good - naturally from Forest Whittaker and Ray Liotta, but also from Jessica Biel (who comes in for more than her fair share of acting criticism these days).

It is certainly a slow-burner. Not much happens during the beginning and it takes a while to get going. So, although it doesn't exactly reinvent the wheel in terms of film-making, it's not a bad little piece, but I feel it's one of those films that you have to be well in the mood for to really appreciate. It should probably come with a warning not to watch it if you don't want to be depressed or brought down by one tale of woe after the next.

7/10 if I woke up on Groundhog Day and had to watch this again, I could live with that

No comments:

Post a Comment