Monday 4 November 2019

Warrior - A bit like Rocky, but with kicks as well 

Warrior tells the story of two brothers who, throughout a turbulent period of growing up, no longer get on. One is a marine, the other a school teacher. And, they both happen to be extraordinarily good at cage fighting. They enter a tournament. Who will win?

I don't normally like these sorts of fighting films (I'm about the only child of the 80s not to like the Rocky saga!), but I have to say this one kept me watching. It does follow the `Rocky-style' ideal of the underdog working his way up and winning against the odds.

It's a bit long. There were a few scenes that I felt could have been cut, but, for some reason, overall I found it compelling. I wasn't that drawn in to the characters, but the feel was something pretty epic about the whole affair.

I'm not sure whether I'd want to watch it again, but I'm certainly glad I saw it. Maybe if you're into these sorts of fight movies, you'll appreciate it more than me?

7/10 if I woke up on Groundhog Day and had to watch this again, I could live with that

No comments:

Post a Comment