Wednesday 13 November 2019

Man on a Ledge - Yeah, not bad actually 

Okay, I didn't know what to expect when I watched this. And, after about fifteen minutes, the jury was still out. A man, played by Sam Worthington, climbs out onto a hotel ledge and threatens to jump. We don't know why yet. Hopefully we will. So I watched on.

I guess the closest film like this was probably Phone Booth, i.e. it's primarily set in one, very public, location. However, Man on a Ledge is definitely different. Without giving too much away, the `man' is on a mission and there are enough different locations in and around the building to hopefully not bore the viewer. There's action, conspiracies, baddies and everything you'd probably expect.

Basically, it's a thriller and not a bad one at that. I didn't expect to like it. I'm not a fan of Sam Worthington generally and I thought the `on a ledge' idea was a bit gimmicky and couldn't see where they were going to go with it.

Now, on reflection, I'm glad I didn't know too much about the plot. I was pleasantly surprised.

Not a classic, but certainly good enough to entertain (although you may have to suspend your disbelief to fully appreciate it - there were parts that may not quite have happened that way in real life - the heroes were pretty lucky in places, but isn't that why we watch films?).

7/10 if I woke up on Groundhog Day and had to watch this again, I could live with that

No comments:

Post a Comment