Tuesday 5 November 2019

The Roommate - Horror by the numbers

I haven't seen the film 'Single White Female' for a while. but, from what I remember, it was basically 'The Roommate.' Maybe 'The Roommate' was actually a remake of 'SWF' and I just didn't get the memo?  Either way... I basically felt that I'd seen it all before - and better.

A student moves into her university dormitory, only to get a new - you guessed it - roommate.  And the roommate is a psycho.  If you were told that briefest of plot synopsises then you'd probably be able to guess what happens next.  And I reckon you'd be right.  There's nothing here that's remotely surprising or worth your time watching.

There's everything you'd expect here.  Stalking.  Disbelief at what's happening.  A slow burn leading to some kills and minor backstory to try and 'explain' various character motivations.

The girl is, er, a girl.  I'd never seen her in anything else, so please excuse my ignorance regarding her body of work.  She's functional enough and even likable.  Then you have her roommate.  She too, plays her part as best as the story allows.  But - and this may just be me - but I found they looked too similar.  Now, maybe this was on purpose, but I actually got confused between the two sometimes!  Then, occasionally the script will require other girls popping up and - guess what - they also look almost identical.  Maybe I just need by eyes tested, but normally I can tell one character apart.

Yeah, I know I'm being a bit harsh on it, but I've seen a lot of films (in particular horror) and, if you're in the same boat as me, there's very little point in you bothering with this one (especially if you've seen 'Single White Female' which is infinitely better).  However, if there's one positive I can say about it is that it probably wasn't meant for hardened veterans of the genre.  If you haven't seen that many similar films then I'm guessing all this will be quite new and interesting.  So, if you haven't picked up on what I'm saying, basically - if you're young you'll probably love it.  Old people like myself... move on.

5/10 a hard trek, a bit like unicycling to Mordor and back

No comments:

Post a Comment