Wednesday 7 April 2021

Me, You Madness - It's a comedy

I stumbled across this film on a streaming service and decided to give it a watch and - spoilers for the end of my review - but I really enjoyed it.  Yes, of course it was hardly Shakespeare and will never win any Oscars or be remembered in terms of great cinematic history, but it made me chuckle and entertained me for an hour and a half - which is all I really ask of a film these days!  So, I came to review it and expected to find a mixture of people who either liked or hated it, but all I could seem to find was absolute vitriol concerning the whole movie.  Yes, it's no 'Citizen Kane,' but - c'mon - it's not that bad!

If I had to sum it up, I'd say it's basically a modern day version of 'American Psycho,' only with a woman as the titular 'psycho.' Now, I didn't do too much research into the film after I watched it, so I don't know that much about it, but it seemed that many of the 'reasons' why people thought it was so bad was because the actress who wrote, starred and even directed it (Louise Linton) had some sort of relationship with someone in a - somewhat controversial - American politician.  Therefore, it seems that because of her (real life) political connections, the film got 'review bombed.'

The other 'criticism' seems to be that it's so bad it's funny.  The only thing I think I can say to that is that it's mainly meant to be a comedy.  Or, at least certainly not taken seriously.  I realised this in the opening five minutes when the main character winks directly to camera and the sound effect played is a cartoon-like 'ting' noise to emphasize the gesture.  That on its own tells me the film is more than a little 'self-knowing.'

If you can accept it's a comedy then you'll either enjoy it or not, depending on where your particular brand of humour lies.  Because this is Linton's first film where she's had (almost?) total control, it is a little rough round the edges.  I'm sure a more experienced director would have shot it a little differently and a team of veteran script writers would have made the dialogue a little more 'tight.' However, for a 'first' film, it's actually pretty competent.

If you like 'comedy horror' films (or perhaps more 'comedy serial killer' films) then you should ignore the numerous bad reviews and give it a go.  The performances are decent and it makes fun of the whole genre with plenty of deliberate nods to the tropes associated with these types of films.  Oh, and it has a pretty rocking eighties soundtrack too if that's your thing.

7/10 if I woke up on Groundhog Day and had to watch this again, I could live with that

No comments:

Post a Comment