Monday 12 April 2021

Doom - Did someone say 'Aliens?'

Ripley is picked up in space after drifting for 57 years and goes back to the planet with a platoon of marines.

No. I'm kidding. But Doom wishes that was the case. Someone took the script to Aliens, photocopied it, changed the names here and there, added a first-person shooty-shooty scene and called it Doom.

I loved Aliens. And, since 1986, I've seen scores of films trying to copy the basic premise. Some are good, some are bad and some do okay. Doom is the latter. Unfortunately, it will always suffer from being a computer game-related movie tie-in. Therefore people will automatically look for things to despise about it. Yes, it's not Shakespeare, but, with a name like `Doom,' were you expecting it to be?

It's not as bad as it could have been, but, then again, it probably could have been even better. The Rock does his best and lifts it above totally mediocre, so that's a plus point. Overall, I'd say if you like action/sci-fi films, you could do worse, as long as you keep your expectations low.

7/10 if I woke up on Groundhog Day and had to watch this again, I could live with that

No comments:

Post a Comment