Wednesday 31 March 2021

The Social Network - A film for my generation?

Looking through the reviews on this site, it’s hard to really add anything new about The Social Network. It’s brilliant. I can hardly fault it. However, I am a serious Facebook addict (currently undergoing electric shock treatment to help myself cut down) so it fascinated me to hear about the back story as to how it was created, who owned it (and who nearly owned it).

 I would rate this 9/10 – great performances, great direction (David Fincher, I now officially forgive you for your part in Alien 3) and great pace.

 So, as an experiment and, in keeping with my 9/10 rating, I invited my Mum and Dad round to watch it. The second time around I enjoyed it as much as the first. In short, when I asked my parents to rate it out of 10, they gave it a 5 and a 6. They didn’t get it. They didn’t understand Facebook, or “the fuss” about it. They didn’t understand anything more technical than the term “the web” and they found all the characters unlikeable and annoying. Only a few hours after the credits rolled and my Mum was having difficulty remembering anything other than people were generally moaning at each other over something that involved money.

 I guess if you’re one of the stereotypical ‘Facebook generation’ you may love this. If not, stick with your knitting (and, no, my Mum will never read this).

 I’m now off to cut and paste this whole review to my status – please feel free to comment :oD

9/10 almost as perfect as The Godfather

No comments:

Post a Comment