Saturday 20 March 2021

The Divide - Will leave audiences... divided 

We see a nuclear bomb go off in New York and the survivors hold up in the basement. That's the premise to The Divide and, although not that original, could just work. And it does... sort of.

Whether you'll enjoy The Divide or not will depend on where you expect the film to go from there. I suppose I better put in `SPOILERS' here, just in case you really don't want to know. Basically, the rest of the film is the characters decent into the fatalistic realisation that their world is gone and how they deal with that.

If you like the sound of that, give it a go.

I could leave it there, but, unfortunately, there was a semi-flaw that bugged me - there are certain scenes in the film that don't fit with that neat little premise and will leave you wondering what is actually going on. Well... those scenes did that with me. I then waited through the whole film for them to be explained. They weren't. I was annoyed.

Despite feeling that a few scenes shouldn't have been in there because they radically change the whole story, the overall film was actually okay - Michael Biehn (remember him? Terminator, Aliens and the Abyss) does well as the slightly psychotic lead and the others serve their purposes well.
Bottom line: if you like a bleak tale - this is for you. But if loose ends grind your gears, be prepared to be frustrated by the time the credits roll.

7/10 if I woke up on Groundhog Day and had to watch this again, I could live with that

No comments:

Post a Comment