Friday 8 May 2020

What's Your Number? - Silly and lowbrow, yet endearing tosh 

This review could be summed up in two words: `Anna' and `Faris.' Need I say more? Yes? Oh, okay then.

If you don't know, Anna Faris is fast catching Cameron Diaz up as the `dippy, but loveable blonde.' Here she plays a girl who decides she's slept with too many men and decides to track down all twenty of her exes to see if one of them was actually Mr Right. She does this with the help of her neighbour, played by Chris Evans.

Does anyone actually watch a romantic comedy and wonder whether the two leading characters will or won't get together in the end? Probably not, so I won't go there. Instead I'll mention that Anna does track her previous guys down in a series of almost `sketch-like' chapters. This is hardly the work of genius scriptwriters, but, in this case, it gets the job done, as each man she revisits is pretty funny each time.

Faris is silly, dippy, attractive and falls over a lot, but then that's what she does. And, if you're not into that sort of performance, you'll probably hate this film.

However, if you want a daft romantic (kind of adult) comedy, there are worse around. I laughed and I don't normally laugh at `boy meets girl' type of flicks.

Grab the popcorn and put your brain on hold long enough to wonder whether Anna and Chris decide that, despite their differences, they're really meant for each other. Almost brings a tear to my cynical eye. 

7/10 if I woke up on Groundhog Day and had to watch this again, I could live with that

No comments:

Post a Comment