Friday 1 May 2020

Blood Creek - Not as bad as others are making out

I do love a good horror film, which is a shame, seeing as there's so few about. Nowadays, I judge a film with how long it can hold my attention before I start logging onto the net and only half-watching.

However, 'Blood Creek' actually held my attention until the end. Not that I'm saying it's a masterpiece, but it seemed to at least hold a shred of originally in its matrix.

 There is some bad though - lack of character development, rushed beginning (normally you have to wait ages to get into the story, but it seemed that the viewer got thrown in there pretty quick) and jerky/dark fight scenes where you can't tell who's who.

And yet I felt it was slightly original and you didn't quite know where it was going. It's about a man who's haunted by the loss of his brother (who disappeared during a fishing trip). The brother returns late one night and they embark on a quest for revenge that takes them up against those most dastardly of villains - Nazis (and supernatural ones at that - and, let me tell you, they're the worst kind!).  The main character is a (pre-DC Universe) Henry Cavill and the chief Nazi is Michael Fassbender, which technically means that, if nothing else, you're getting a film where Superman takes on Magneto.

The gore was good (you may have to squint a bit to ignore the slightly bad `horse on fire' scene), but, apart from that, it has enough twists and turns to hopefully keep you interested to the end.  It was probably hoping for a sequel, but seeing as two of the main stars are now way above the film's budget, I'm guessing this will be a one off.

7/10 if I woke up on Groundhog Day and had to watch this again, I could live with that

No comments:

Post a Comment