Saturday 2 May 2020


Cat’s Eye – I thought I saw a pussycat (in the final act)


I’ve always enjoyed Stephen King’s ‘Cat’s Eye.’ It’s a fun little anthology of stories which chart the journey of a stray cat as it searches for its ‘true purpose’ (and you’ll have to watch the film to find out what that is).  Now, it’s worth noting from the off that the film is made up of three separate stories (only with the cat vaguely linking them as it travels) and, if you’re expecting ‘horror’ from the master of terror himself, i.e. Stephen King, you may feel a little short-changed.


The first two stories are definitely not horror (in the true sense), focusing on simple human cruelty and general failings.  Not only that, but the cat is barely in either tale.  With a couple of rewrites of the script you could take the animal out of 66% of the movie and it would be exactly the same.


I didn’t hate the first two stories (James Woods in the first one is – as usual – excellent) and, although the story is not typical horror, it is good.  The middle story is the most forgettable, but it’s the third and final act which makes the film so good.  I won’t go into why too much, only to say that it’s the one which has the most to do with horror, plus the cat actually gets to do something!  Also, you even have – a practically unrecognisable these days – Drew Barrymore as the youngster in the third tale.


‘Cat’s Eye’ is certainly not just for cat lovers (as the cat’s hardly in two thirds!), but if you like kooky/creepy little tales then this one is worth a watch.  I may be a little biased because I used to watch it when I was young (yes, the ‘horror’ aspect really didn’t faze me when I was a small boy in the eighties!) so there’s the whole nostalgia thing going for me.  Probably one to catch on a streaming service if you’re in the mood.  And I will confess to sometimes skipping the middle story when I watch this film.


7/10 if I woke up on Groundhog Day and had to watch this again, I could live with that

No comments:

Post a Comment