Wednesday 24 July 2019

The Fantastic Four (2005) - The ‘Just About Okay’ Four

Yeah, you heard the general consensus regarding ‘The Fantastic Four’s’ first major big screen outing.  Most people hated it.  I didn’t hate it, but I’m not warming to it with time.  When I first saw it in the cinema I thought it was ‘just about okay.’ Now I’ve watched it again on DVD a couple of years over time I’m sticking to my original verdict.

In fact, one of its problems is the rest of the ‘Marvel’ movies.  Since 2005 we’ve been treated to the whole ‘expanded universe’ where all the Marvel superheroes pop in and out of each other’s films.  And, it’s safe to say that most people like all that (plus Avengers etc).  So, basically the current way of doing superhero films is miles above what 20th Century Fox tried back in 2005.

The cast isn’t really the problem.  Even if some of them did get some stick for their portrayals of the characters, I didn’t find any of them a problem.  They all looked the part to me.  However, the problem I had with the movie is that it never really gets going.  It’s not a long film (only an hour and a half) and, despite getting their superpowers early on, the four central characters don’t really do that much with them until literally the final few minutes.  I thought this when I first watched it in the cinema, but it wasn’t until I saw it again on DVD that I was able to time exactly when the film actually ‘got going’ (in my opinion).  It was about at 1h 20 minutes (out of an hour and a half!).  That’s when the superheroes finally come together like I was expecting them to and fight Dr Doom. 

Oh yes... Dr Doom.  I mentioned that the casting wasn’t that bad.  I was referring to the Four.  Dr Doom is pretty unspectacular and not that evil.  And they only gang up on him at the end, making the whole film seem like a prequel that could have been told in about twenty minutes until the story starts properly.

All in all, The Fantastic Four will always be classed as a ‘missed opportunity.’ Yes, it’s already being ‘rebooted’ and die-hard fans are hoping that Fox will get the formula right this time.  Although... rumour has it that the writers are already changing HOW the Four got their powers.  Therefore I’m not holding my breath!

6/10 Should probably keep you awake if Freddy Krueger was haunting your nights

No comments:

Post a Comment