Wednesday 10 July 2019

Shaft (2019) - Not PC, but not bad either

I'll start by saying that I don't know an awful lot about the 'source material' when it comes to the 2019 version of 'Shaft.' I never saw the original films (or were they TV shows - that's how much I know!).  And I never saw Samuel L Jackson's earlier outing as the titular anti-hero detective.  However, seeing as I am a fan of Mr Jackson and this incarnation has just dropped on a well-known online streaming service, I thought I'd give it a go.

In case you don't know, (John) Shaft (played perfectly by Samuel L Jackson) is a private detective who plays by his own rules.  In other words... he kind of beats people up to get information from them.  Nothing too radical about this premise, but I did see a few reviews (or should I call them 'moans?') about how 'politically incorrect' this film was.  I saw words like 'dinosaur' and 'outdated' when it came to describing this film.  And, now I've watched it, I guess I have to agree with them.  Although, in my opinion, that's no bad thing.

We get a brief scene at the start showing how Shaft actually has an estranged son (John Shaft Junior - played by Jessie T Usher) and the film quickly skips forward over twenty years where Jr is now a data analyst with the FBI.  However, when a friend dies in suspicious services, it leaves this 'non field agent' down a few dark allies in Harlem, where he needs the help of his long lost father in order to (safely!) navigate.

Now, Samuel L Jackson is well-known for taking any mediocre film and making it great fun to watch.  This is probably one of those.  The plot is nothing new and you'll see most beats coming a mile off (you'll know the 'true' villains the moment you see them, no matter how nice they try and act).  Also, there's the obligatory love interests which are there because...er, I suppose they have to be.  But what saves this film is Jackson's dialogue and banter with his son.  Yes, Shaft (Senior) is a 'dinosaur.' He's now in his sixties and from a completely different 'age.' He uses different words and acts differently around people, i.e. definitely NOT politically correct.  So, I guess if you're easily offended by various - now frowned upon - terms to describe various groups of society, I guess you'll be on Twitter before the credits start decrying this 'terrible' film.

But it's not terrible.  It's just good fun.  Like I say, if you go looking for things to be offended by then you'll be delighted with the amount of things you can complain about here.  Or, you can look at it as the tale of two different generations and their various outlooks on the world.  Yes, it's no classic, but it's certainly fun if you like either Samuel L Jackson, or just gritty detective stories.  For me, it was worth it just for the line where Jackson totally spoofs a popular misconception about himself and another actor!

7/10 if I woke up on Groundhog Day and had to watch this again, I could live with that

No comments:

Post a Comment