Monday 3 June 2019

Us - Don't think, just enjoy it

'Us' is the second film written and directed by Jordan Peele (the first being the awesomely-creepy 'Get Out') and I was pretty interested by what I'd heard online about his new film.  A family goes on vacation, only to get stalked and attacked by an identical family - in every way!

I was going to see it no matter what, but I never got round to watching it in the cinema.  However, from various online sources, not only did I get the impression that it was one of those films that people either absolutely loved or really despised, but also I basically learned the entire plot - practically beat for beat.  So, by the time it came for me to watch it on the small screen, I knew everything that was going to happen, including the overall premise as to what was occurring in this unsettling world I was witnessing.

However, even though I'd deliberately removed all forms of 'mystique' from what was going on in the film, I still enjoyed it.  Even though I sound like a bit of a hypocrite, I would recommend NOT finding too much about the plot before watching it.  I've already given the briefest of synopsis and that should be all you'll need.

'Us' is a bit of a 'mish-mash' of genres.  Overall it's a horror and, if you're looking into more of a 'sub-genre,' you could call it a 'home invasion' movie.  However, this 'sub-genre' then changes into yet more variants of the overall horror theme.

The main cast are all believable as a unit and play off each other nicely and you won't question that these are a group of people who have lived (and put up with!) each other for many years.

What I liked about the film was the premise.  Yes, it borrows from many sources, but the overall theme of what was really happening was original enough for me to really appreciate as something new and not a topic that had been done before (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong!).  Of course it's not perfect.  One of the main reasons I saw people online saying it was far inferior to 'Get Out' was its lack of answers to some questions.

Like I say, the plot is pretty original, but with it brings many things you could ask yourself about how this all came to be.  The film doesn't offer any answers and you could well not come up with any feasible ones yourself if you ponder too long on it.

However, almost all films require a certain element of 'suspension of disbelief' when it comes to enjoying them.  For any horror fan out there who wants something a little different, just make sure you're in a forgiving mood and settle in for a really creepy premise which is well worth a watch.

7/10 if I woke up on Groundhog Day and had to watch this again, I could live with that

No comments:

Post a Comment