Friday 14 June 2019

Carrie (2013 remake) - Haven’t I seen this somewhere before?

The 1976 version of ‘Carrie’ is undoubtedly a classic – the tale of a troubled teenage girl who gets bullied and exacts her revenge via her telekinetic superpowers.  And here we have the remake.  Or ‘re-envisioning’ as the film-makers would prefer we referred to it as.  Remakes (for that’s what I call them) always have a difficult time.  Either they’re nothing like the original and no one can understand why they’ve been called a ‘remake’ (besides the producers trying to cash in on the title), or they’re exactly the same (albeit updated) and therefore nothing new.

Carrie (2013) falls into the latter.  If you’ve seen the 1976 version you really don’t need to watch this.  It’s basically the same film (i.e. same story, same ‘scare scenes’ and same characters), but with modern hairstyles and references to Youtube etc.

As with the original, everyone in the remake plays their parts well.  As with the original the scares are effective.  And, as with the original, it’s a pretty decent film – the reason being it’s exactly the same.
I loved the original, so I suppose that means I love this one, too.  However, although I enjoyed watching Carrie again (I don’t need to mention which one as both versions are the same!), I doubt I’ll watch the remake again as I already own the original on DVD so I’ll stick to that one.

Yes, the special effects have been beefed up in the 2013 remake and they work well, plus some scenes have been ‘fleshed-out’ to give them a more modern spin, but, apart from that, there’s nothing new brought to the table.

If you haven’t seen the original and don’t want to watch a horror film where people sport big seventies haircuts then go straight to the new version.  Plus fans of Julianne Moore and Chloe Grace Moretz should get more out of it than most.

If nothing else... this film proves that you really shouldn't mess (or throw tampons) at 'Hit Girl!'

7/10 if I woke up on Groundhog Day and had to watch this again, I could live with that

No comments:

Post a Comment