Thursday 20 June 2019

Re-Animator - Great gore and guts

How have I only just got round to watching this? Somehow, despite my love of eighties horror and zombies, Re-animator completely passed me by. My loss. It's truly amazing - in the most gruesome and terrible way possible.

My first thought, as the film started, was that it looked like it was made on a surprisingly high budget - almost like a B-movie coming across like a blockbuster. Yes, the haircuts now look a little dated, but the storyline is pretty different and the actors all put in a better performance than you'd expect for an eighties horror film.

A moody young surgeon joins a class of medical students. He believes he can bring dead bodies back to life. He teacher doesn't believe him. His teacher soon lives to regret that.

Expect gore aplenty and bodies dropping like flies (and then standing up again). In this day and age, where Hollywood is remaking every vaguely successful film from yesteryear, I find it amazing that no one has got round to making this one yet. The plot is decent enough so that you'd probably not have seen anything like it before (despite the multitude of zombie movies flowing across the screen).
If you like horror, if you like gore, if you like zombies or just cheesy eighties movies in general, you really have to watch this. I'm glad I did. Now I'm off to see what the sequels are like.

The only thing you need to ask yourself is: what's worse than being eaten by a zombie?

The answer: being eaten by several naked ugly zombie (with eighties haircuts).

7/10 if I woke up on Groundhog Day and had to watch this again, I could live with that

No comments:

Post a Comment