Wednesday 12 June 2019

Jeff Who Lives At Home - Whoops, not as funny as I thought

It was probably my fault. They say you should never judge a book by a cover and, in this case, I didn't really read much about the film before I watched it. I just looked at the cover and figured it was going to be one of those light-hearted `Judd Apatow' adult comedies where things get a little silly and a lot saucy. I was wrong.

They claim `Jeff, Who Lives at Home' is a comedy, but I would say that if falls firmly in the `off-beat drama' category. It's about two brothers (one a slacker who lives at home - Jeff, obviously) and one who's trying to make his way in the business world and their capers dealing with a day of fate and revelations when they think the brother's wife is having an affair. All in all, that sounds like a reasonably good recipe for comedy, but the film focuses on the more quirky dramatic aspect of it all, rather than pies landing in people's faces.

It's one of those films that probably requires a second viewing to appreciate it properly. I sat down expecting an American Pie-esque comedy. Therefore I was always going to be disappointed. However, if you're in the mood for something just a little bit more dramatic where the humour is a lot more subtle, this one could be for you.

As a comedy it's only a 6/10, but as a drama it should be looked at a little more highly.

No comments:

Post a Comment