Sunday 2 June 2019

Dark Shadows - The jury's out 

I like Tim Burton, I like Johnny Depp and I like vampires. Hence Dark Shadows was always going to be something I watched. The film is based on a little-known TV show where Depp plays a vampire who's been buried alive for two hundred years and awoken in the seventies, where he tries to rebuild his family's fortunes while fending off the witch who originally buried him.

Having watched the film, I'm still kind of in two minds whether I liked it or now. There were some bits that were really good. If you've seen anything by Tim Burton, you'll either love or hate his gothic fairytale style (which is, once again, evident here). Depp, as usual, puts in a good performance. However, it seems he's trying a little hard to be different with some not particularly good dialogue. A lot of his `acting' in this involves him waving his fingers in a semi-threatening manner.

I couldn't work out whether the film is trying to be a comedy or a drama, but with horror elements thrown in there as well (and a kind of `action' end standoff/battle). The film seems to lurch from one genre to another. There are some funny moments utilising the fact that Depp doesn't understand the world he's now living in, but they're few and far between.

I enjoyed it, but I'm not sure how. Just like I'm not sure I'd be in much of a hurry to see it again. It's even left slightly open for a sequel, however with the mixed reviews (which now, having seen the film, I can fully understand) it's probably in some doubt whether there's any more Dark Shadows to come.

Although, it was great to see Alice Cooper rocking out in a film again!

7/10 if I woke up on Groundhog Day and had to watch this again, I could live with that

No comments:

Post a Comment