Wednesday 13 January 2021

Xtro - Never has a bad film been so good

I do like a `so-bad-it's-good' kind of film. However, never has that phrase been more applicable than in the case of eighties British sci-fi horror film, Xtro. It was awful. The acting was diabolical (especially the `human freckle' which masqueraded as a small boy throughout the whole of the film). Every character in the main family had different accents - just off-putting in my opinion. And the plot made little to no sense.

It revolves around a father who gets abducted by aliens three years ago and hasn't been seen since. Then, out of the blue, he returns. Seriously, that's one family that will soon wish he hadn't.

What follows is a tale of complete randomness, mixed with shades of the sci-fi classic Alien (and much horror, not to mention some female nudity which will keep the guys happy). I'll say it again: it was awful. Yet, for some reason, I just couldn't look away. I stuck with it right until the end, possibly hoping to get an explanation. I didn't. But what I did get was an hour and a half of weirdly enjoyable fun - it's like David Lynch wrote parts of it when he was drunk. You hear about `carcrash TV,' well, this was `carcrash film-making' at its very best.

If you have a strong stomach and want a bit of eighties, cheesy gore, give this a go. Any film that has aliens and dwarf clowns in with rubber bendy hammers has to be worth ninety minutes of anyone's time!

7/10 if I woke up on Groundhog Day and had to watch this again, I could live with that

No comments:

Post a Comment