Tuesday 19 January 2021

Jennifer's Body - As if the teenage years weren't stressful enough

I remember when I first watched 2009's 'Jennifer's Body.' I thought it was great.  It was only when I looked online that I realised it had been a bit of a flop at the Box Office and was taking a critical mauling from the critics.  Now, over ten years later, I've given it another watch... and I still love it!

It's a horror movie.  Don't be lulled into any marketing (whether official or fans' interpretations) that states that it's some sort of deep and meaningful critique of youth or femininity.  It's pretty much a horror movie.  And, in my opinion, all good horror movies are either great because they're genuinely scary, or brilliant fun because they don't take themselves too seriously. 'Jennifer's Body' definitely falls into the latter category.

Without going into too much detail, a teenage girl (Megan Fox) gets possessed by an evil demon and begins to crave more than just a couple of tubs of chocolate ice cream while watching 'The Notebook' on a Friday night, i.e. human flesh.  Only her best friend (Amanda Seyfried) knows the truth and sets about doing her best to stop her murderous ways.

Yes, there's some gore, but it's nothing you haven't really seen before.  It's the script that's what makes the film great fun (and I hear it's even finally found a bit of a cult following today).  Like I say, it doesn't take itself too seriously and there's plenty of banter between the cast and it's like they know that what they're doing - kind of - sends up the genre.  Not only does Fox and Seyfried carry the film, there's a great supporting cast to look out for, including Chris Pratt, Lance Henrikson and J.K. Simmons.

Don't go into this film expecting anything deep and meaningful, just enjoy a bit of a gory satire on the horror genre and modern teenage life in general.

8/10 The Force is definitely strong with this one

No comments:

Post a Comment