Thursday 21 January 2021

Bordello of Blood - So much (gory!) fun

'Bordello of Blood' is the second in the 'Tales From the Crypt' series and, to my shame, I have to confess that I've never seen the original, so I can't compare the two.  However, I can say that this 'sequel' is absolutely mad - in the best possible way.

Erika Eleniak's younger brother, Corey Feldman, goes missing while visiting a seedy bordello and so she enlists the help of a private eye (Dennis Miller) to investigate.  What he finds is a whole lot of semi-naked vampires.

Yeah, the plot isn't anything massively special, but you really shouldn't be watching it for that.  What you get here is a totally 'self-aware' horror/comedy which never takes itself seriously and is all the better for it.

There's gore - and plenty of it.  Plus, possibly due to its lack of budget all effects are 'practical' which - in my opinion - always looks better than CGI.  The script is smart and there are plenty of moments of banter which add to the 'cheeky' feel to the film.

Dennis Miller is the star and Erika Eleniak is the co-star, but if you're a fan of Corey Feldman, you may be left feeling a little short-changed as he's not in it as much as you may think he should be.  However, perhaps the real star of the show (besides the animatronic 'Crypt Keeper' who introduces and closes out the tale) is Angie Everhart who plays the lead vampire.  She's clearly loving the role and oozes sex appeal in a wonderfully over the top fashion.

If you like eighties/nineties cheesy horror films with lashings of sexy women and witty dialogue then definitely give this one a go.  It has one of the greatest 'action scenes' involving water pistols which makes me smile just thinking about it.  I'm now off to watch 'Tales of the Crypt: Part 1!'

7/10 if I woke up on Groundhog Day and had to watch this again, I could live with that

No comments:

Post a Comment