Wednesday 11 November 2020

The Green Mile - Supernatural, sentimental sci-fi

I'm going to start off with a bit of an 'unpopular opinion:' I don't like Tom Hanks.  I don't mean I don't like the actor (every time I've seen him interviewed he comes across as a very likable dude), however, I just never seem to be drawn to the type of films he's in (mainly because my taste in movie means much of my favourite films end in the title '...of the Living Dead' - perhaps if Hanks ever fought zombies with a boomstick and a chainsaw I may think of him higher!).  Anyway, 'The Green Mile' is the one and only Tom Hanks film to grace my DVD collection.

It's actually based on a Stephen King book (which I haven't read!) about a group of prison guards who work on death row during the fifties and their encounter with a condemned inmate who exhibits 'extraordinary' abilities.  Considering King's other work, you may expect various monsters and supernatural elements coming into play.  However, none will be found here.  The supernatural stuff is actually quite low-key and you could almost be forgiven for thinking that this film is more of a straight prison drama than sci-fi/horror.

Sometimes films just work and no matter what you want to talk about regarding 'The Green Mile,' it's all good.  It's hard to find any faults with the film - it is quite long, but never feels like it drags.  Technically, there's not much action, yet seems more tense than your average thriller or action film, but, if this film had one major plus point, it's the cast.

I think the reason I don't really go for Tom Hanks' films is because I find many of them a little too 'sentimental' for my liking.  I'd like to say that the reason I like 'The Green Mile' is because it isn't so typically 'sappy.' However, it's probably just as 'sentimental' as the rest of Hanks' output.  I guess the only reason I can tolerate this so easily is because of the supernatural elements which are infused with the drama.  And the cast, of course - did I mention the cast?

When I first watched it I only really knew Tom Hanks (and Doug Hutchison, but only because I'm a massive 'X-files' fan - in fact, based on his awesome performances in both, why hasn't he been in more?).  Nowadays, almost every inmate/guard is someone I'd seen in something else and enjoyed their performances massively.  It's easy to pick out great actors like Sam Rockwell, Harry Dean Stanton and David Morse for praise, but really I'm not sure how well this film would have stood the test of time without the prisoner at the centre of the tale - played by Michael Clarke Duncan.  I really can't rate his performance highly enough and it's such a shame that someone who can stir up such emotions in an audience is no longer with us.

Overall, I can't really see who wouldn't enjoy 'The Green Mile.' It's a subtle tale which will stay with you.  I guess if I really want to nit-pick and find a flaw I might say that a few plot points seem to wrap themselves up a little coincidentally towards the end, but when there's so much right with a film you'll barely notice.  I just wish Tom Hanks would star in more films like this (although I did like him in 'The Simpsons' movie!).

8/10 The Force is definitely strong with this one

No comments:

Post a Comment