Sunday 8 November 2020

The Descent (2005) - One of the greatest horror films ever... apparently 

I love horror films and I've now watched The Descent three times. I suppose that means I do like it (I do own it after all), yet I never seem to see what everyone else does. When I read other people's reviews they use words like `Awesome' and `Amazing,' however, if I was using words to describe this film I'd simply use the term `Pretty good,' as that's all I felt after watching it.

If I'm in the mood for a reasonable monster-hunting film, then I put on The Descent. It's not overly long and it doesn't take much of my brainpower to understand it. Basically, a group of women go underground caving and get hunted by some of Golem's relatives.

I like the way it's shot and scored. For some reason it reminds me of John Carpenter's early work, but for a film that lasts ninety minutes, the beasties don't make an appearance (properly) until over half way. You have a lot of creeping around dark caves before you get to the gore.

As I say, many horror fans LOVE this movie. So, there must be something there I'm not seeing. Personally, I'll stick with an average 6/10 and probably watch it again in a few years time (maybe I'll `get it' then? After all, I am the only man alive who doesn't like either Bladerunner or The Godfather!) 


7/10 if I woke up on Groundhog Day and had to watch this again, I could live with that

No comments:

Post a Comment