Wednesday 4 November 2020

Moonraker – my favourite Bond (sorry!)

It’s probably a bit controversial to claim that Roger Moore is the best Bond.  It’s probably even more controversial to say that ‘Moonraker’ is the best Bond film ever.  I know.  I’ve read other reviews.  I know it had its faults. I guess, for me and my love of Star Wars, there was just something uber cool about seeing James Bond in space fighting with laser guns (and, yes, I know that they only made a ‘James-Bond-in-space’ film to cash in on George Lucas’ game-changing masterpiece, but I didn’t care about that, either!).

This time round, the UK government is charged with the task of transporting (and therefore safe-guarding) a couple of American-built space shuttles.  However, things do not go according to plan for her majesty’s minions when both shuttles disappear in mysterious circumstances.  Enter one 007 to get to the bottom of this.  

Now, as I’ve mentioned, I do love this film.  Maybe because I grew up with it and it’s totally tainted with nostalgic memories of watching it round friends’ houses on Sunday afternoons.  So, rather than saying what’s so great about it, I will acknowledge other people’s criticisms of what I consider ‘Bond’s finest hour.’ Firstly, people (even more cynical than I am) were taken up with the Star Wars cash-in I’ve already mentioned.  Secondly, there was too much humour.  Gone are the days of Sean Connery’s dry wit and darker take on Bond and they’re all replaced with a lot of tongue-in-cheek silliness involving pet dogs doing comedy double-takes when Bond drives a boat through a crowded market square.  The last two major complaints about the film revolve around the casting of the villain ‘Drax’ and the latest Bond girl – Dr Goodhead (seriously – that’s her name!).  Now, due to my love of this film as a child, I was more interested in armies of laser-wielding astronauts spinning off into the blackness of space than acting abilities.  However, over thirty years later, I do tend to cringe a little when either character opens their mouth.  Yes, they really are a little bit wooden.  Perhaps I’m being unfair as I guess they do their best with the lines that are given to them.  But, for every cloud there’s a silver lining – and that silver lining comes in the form of a giant with metal teeth.  Yes, ‘Jaws’ is another baddie hell bent on creasing Bond’s tuxedo – and he is as awesome as ever.

I know I’m not alone in my appreciation for Moonraker, but I think most people who enjoy it as much as me are my age.  I guess it might not hold up too well with the modern audience – it’s not the special effects which are the problem (correct me if I’m wrong, but a laser battle in zero-gravity space has never been attempted before on screen!).  It’s the tone that may not sit well with today’s Bond fans.  Currently, we have a much darker Daniel Craig Bond who rarely smiles or makes a witty (borderline innuendo) quip.  However, if you can appreciate a Bond with a much lighter feel to it (and I know there are people out there who do – otherwise ‘Kingsman: The Secret Service’ wouldn’t be so successful!) then you could do worse than relaxing your brain for a couple of hours and letting it drift into deep space.  If nothing else, the final line about ‘attempting re-entry’ is worth watching the whole film for.  RIP Roger – you were always the best Bond (my opinion only!).

10/10 The Monty Python Knights of Camelot are currently looking for this

No comments:

Post a Comment