Wednesday 11 November 2020

Moonrise Kingdom - Not my sort of film - apologies to the masses

I feel terrible writing this review. I've checked out other people's and have come to the conclusion they must see things I don't. The majority of reviews give Moonrise Kingdom 4-5 stars. Maybe I need to watch it again.

In short, I found it boring. Although that's not to say I didn't appreciate much about it. First of all it certainly has a style of its own. The way every shot has been filmed almost puts it in the `arthouse' category (or at least over much of contemporary Hollywood's output). It is indeed beautiful to watch. Plus the music is perfectly fitting at recreating the innocent era of childhood in the sixties. The cast too deserve a special mention for gathering such a talented group of actors together for a story of grown ups on an island tracking down two starcrossed teenage lovers who have run away together.
So, despite all that positive, I still found it boring.

I like to think I don't only watch films with car crashes, giant monsters and Michael Bay. Quirky is good. Quirky, well-filmed and with a great cast is even better. I just found the story the biggest let down. Simply boring.

So, apologies to all those who loved it. I really wanted to be with you on this. Maybe I'll watch it again in a few years and wonder why I wrote this?

5/10 a hard trek, a bit like unicycling to Mordor and back

No comments:

Post a Comment