Tuesday 15 September 2020

Wind River – Like wading through heavy snow

I know I probably shouldn’t have just watched ‘Wind River’ on the basis that it’s – sort of – ‘Hawkeye’ and ‘Scarlett Witch’ from the Marvel universe starring together and expect something along the lines of a full-scale alien invasion of New York.  However, there was a gun on the front cover, so I did expect a bit more in the way of ‘action.’ I was wrong.

A young Native American woman in murdered on a reservation and a local hunter (Jeremy Renner) teams up with an FBI agent (Elizabeth Olsen) to solve it.  If – like me – you’re expecting gun-play, car chases and a non-stop thrill-ride, then you’re going to be sorely disappointed.

What follows is effectively the cast trudging their way around the scenic, snow-covered locations, occasionally talking to people.  I know the direction is good.  The scenery definitely deserves a mention and you really do get the sense of isolation in the wilderness.

However, you may be thinking that if it’s not a fast-paced, action-packed movie, then it’s going to be a ‘cat and mouse’ tale of a murderer trying to stay out of the clutches of the law.  But it’s not – really – that either.  It – kind of – gets explained about three quarters of the way through where we get a jarring lump of backstory/flashback to tell us what we’re now supposed to know.

Personally, I was finding it quite a hard watch – until the final act.  There was a majorly-tense scene near the end which was definitely well done and I just wish the rest of the film was like that.

However, it’s probably worth noting that I’m clearly in the minority here.  I’ve checked out the rest of the reviews and everyone else seems to love this film.  Pity.  I guess it just wasn’t for me, so I guess you should take the majority’s word over mine?

6/10 Should probably keep you awake if Freddy Krueger was haunting your nights

No comments:

Post a Comment