Sunday 27 September 2020

Shame - Didn't like it - apologies to the masses  

After watching Shame - a story about a man suffering from `sex addiction - I was about to write a scathing review, reflecting just how dull I thought the film was, when I saw the other reviews.

Apparently it's some sort of poignant masterpiece.

I guess I just didn't get it.

Maybe I'm too used to car chases and giant robots levelling cities, but whatever everyone else saw here just didn't reach me.

I guess I'm in the minority, so if you're thinking of watching Shame, all those saying how deep and meaningful it was can't really be wrong.

I just thought it was boring. It opens with an overhead shot of Michael Fassbender in bed and the camera just stays on him lying there for a whole minute. I had to check I hadn't accidentally paused the DVD by mistake. That's a taste of things to come. There's not as much dialogue as you'd expect from a film. Many scenes are just him looking at someone. Then they look back. Then they look away. Repeat for several minutes. Then there was the singing and the jogging scenes. I ended up fast forwarding them.

Anyway, I've slated this masterpiece for long enough.

Most people liked it. I didn't. I guess that means you should probably watch it and leave me to watch Resident Evil 8 or whatever rot I'm currently enjoying.

4/10 Dumb and Dumber could understand this film

No comments:

Post a Comment