Tuesday 29 September 2020

American Pie: Reunion - The Pie is past it's sell by date (but only just)

Like many, I loved the first American Pie film. It was daft, silly, immature and totally funny. Its two sequels did their best to stay true to the original and, in my opinion, did a decent job.

Now comes the reunion. Set just over ten years after the guys graduated high school. The first thing I have to say is that it is great to see them all together again. They still have the endearing chemistry which made the previous films such a success (and on a side note, they barely seem to have aged a bit - for that I can only hate them). However, for all the nostalgic enjoyment I got from seeing the whole gang together again, I felt this one was the most strained.

In short: I didn't laugh as much as any of the previous entries in the franchise. Not saying that it wasn't funny - I laughed more times than with most comedy films. Plus it was hardly an Adam Sadler movie, it just didn't have as many laugh out loud moments as I'm used to with a `Pie' flick.

I didn't feel like I'd wasted my time, but it is nearly two hours and the jokes were starting to come few and far between. Instead, they were replaced with predictable sentiment which, although sweet, just wasn't much of a substitute for gross-out humour.

I would only rate this 6/10 as it was enjoyable, just not up to the standard already set before it. However, judging from the amount of 5/5 star reviews, there are plenty of people who disagreed with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment