Tuesday 30 April 2019

Only Lovers Left Alive - Know it’s sloooooow

Okay, I hate to be the one to knowingly disagree with the majority, but I didn’t like this film.  If you check out the other reviews of ‘Only Lovers Left Alive’ then you’ll see it’s getting some pretty high scores.  Sadly, it just didn’t do anything for me.  Not that I’m saying it’s all bad.

It’s about two immortal lovers (Tom Hiddleston and Tilda Swinton) who are basically vampires (although the ‘V-word’ is conspicuously absent from all dialogue) who find each other after many years apart.  And they sit around and chat.

That’s about it.  They chat.  Not much else really happens.

Hence my comment about it being very slow.  It’s a talking film where two eternal souls debate about the pros and cons of living forever etc.

If you’re in the mood for something with no car chases or explosions then give it a go.  Naturally, with two great leads like Hiddleston and Swinton you’re going to get some interesting and layered performances.  So, any fans of the pair of them will definitely get more out of it than most.
It wasn’t a bad film, just slow.  I don’t know what I was expecting, but I was hoping there would be something else to it than the deep, art-house kind of feel to the film-making.  I’d have probably appreciated it a little more if there was less music.  Yes, Hiddleston is a musician, but there’s a lot of him playing and people dancing.  Too much in my opinion.

So, fans of the leads and generally those who are tired by watching buildings falling down should give it a go.  Maybe when I’m more in the mood for something a little deeper I’ll give it another go and appreciate it a little more than I did on my initial viewing.

6/10 Should probably keep you awake if Freddy Krueger was haunting your nights

No comments:

Post a Comment