Thursday 18 April 2019

Sahara - A good film ruined by a book

First of all, let me say that I have never even heard of the book that `Sahara' is based on. I have no idea how accurate the film is, or whether the actors portraying the characters are doing a good job. In fact, I've never even heard of the author of these - apparently famous - books (sometimes, I wonder whether I've actually read anything other than `Mr Man' books).

However, apparently I'm in a minority, because whatever books 'Sahara' is based on are actually pretty famous. And that's where the problem lies. According to (almost) everyone who has read the book and then went on to see the film, the film bears no resemblance to the source material and is a total poke-in-the-eye of this literary fiction that so many love.

Hence 'Sahara' got one hell of a rough ride when it was released. The producers made no secret about the fact that they were hoping for a success to then go and green-light the many sequels. But that's never going to happen now.

But, as I've already said, I haven't read the books, so I'm basing my judgement on the film through and through. And I rather liked it. Yes, it's not that complex. Goodies and baddies are easily defined and the hero saves the planet, gets the girl and finds some treasure for good measure. But it's a family film, so why shouldn't good come through in the end? Many people draw comparisons with the 'Indiana Jones' movies. Granted, 'Sahara' will never be as good as an `Indy' outing (unless you count 'The Crystal Skull' which everyone apart from me seemed to also hate!), but it's in the same mould of rip-roaring adventures (think more `The Mummy' but with no supernatural element).  I guess that because much of it is set in deserts and out modern day, swashbuckling hero is fighting off hordes off faceless soldiers, does make it feel a bit 'Indy-ish' so to speak.

If you want deep narrative structure and excellent character developments then look elsewhere. However, if you want a fun popcorn movie to watch with the kids on a Saturday afternoon, then give Dirk Pitt a go (and never open one of the books it's based on... ever).

7/10 if I woke up on Groundhog Day and had to watch this again, I could live with that

No comments:

Post a Comment