Sunday 8 December 2019

Red Hill - In Australia, no one can shoot straight  

First, let me say that this review is based on the first three quarters of Red Hill only. I couldn't watch any more. I was forcing myself to laugh to stop myself from becoming so frustrated with this film.

It's about an escaped convict who comes to an out-of-the-way Australian town to seek revenge on those who had him sent to prison originally. He kills them one by one. They, in turn, let him kill them one by one, on account of not being able to ever shoot him once, even if he's standing in front of them (I'm not lying - a guy, kneeling no more than a few feet away from the killer, fires at least five shots off and misses ever time - then, once he's run out of ammo, he gets killed). This then happens again and again. One dozy local fails to hit the killer when he clearly has a clear shot then, in turn, gets killed himself (my favourite being the local man on a rooftop, failing to kill the escapee with a sniper rifle from an elevated position, but managing to get himself shot instead).

In fact, the nasty ol' killer kills everyone he meets, apart from the hero. He doesn't bother with him. He lets him live. Then, when their paths cross, he lets him live again. And again. And... I think this was when I turned it off.

The story is wafer-thin, characters are only there to be killed and the `action' scenes are just a man firing at the convict (and missing, obviously) then getting killed.

Judging from other reviews, some people seemed to find this film `tense' and `atmospheric.' I guess every film can find its audience somewhere, but this one wasn't for me.

2/10 Scuzzier than the leftover goo from a Queen alien's egg sack

No comments:

Post a Comment