Tuesday 17 December 2019

Ink - Words can't describe this film

I really wanted to simply write WATCH THIS FILM and leave it there. However, I shouldn't be that blatant, as this is definitely one of those films which won't appeal to everyone.

Personally, I think it's brilliant, but, if you read some of the internet forums on Ink, you'll see comments like `a film student's film only' and `a boring mess.' I wouldn't describe it as either (but then I did study film at university, so maybe I'm biased?).

I guess if you mix a small pinch of Inception with Donnie Darko, add a tablespoon of The Matrix and a healthy portion of Russian sci-fi epic Nightwatch, then set it all to the musical score of a Richard Kelly film, you're in the right area of Ink.

If you like your films quirky and beautifully-shot (including the action sequences), plus have some decent characterisation with some captivating musical scores, then give this one a go. However, if you want wall-to-wall action with little plot, character development and Michael Bay's name on the credits, steer well clear.

You'll notice I haven't even mentioned the storyline in this review. If you like this sort of art-house, indie film and are going to watch it, it's best you don't. You'll never get another chance to be amazed at no knowing what's coming.

Plus this is a rare example of what can be achieved with a limited (by Hollywood's general standards) budget.

9/10 almost as perfect as The Godfather

No comments:

Post a Comment