Wednesday 25 September 2019

Perfect Sense - Hardly uplifting, but surprisingly effective 

I've become so used to Hollywood showing us disaster movies of epic proportions and utilising millions of dollars worth of special effects, that I seriously doubted a film about the end of the world using absolutely no shots of the Golden Gate bridge collapsing on itself or the White House being blown up by mutants could actually work.  

I was wrong.

'Perfect Sense' gives us an apocalyptic vision through the eyes of a pretty ordinary couple (if Ewan McGregor and Eva Green are your average Glasgow residents) and every now and again through the use of montages.  Everything is going on in the world quite merrily until one day someone loses their sense of smell.  Then someone else does.  And then it spreads.  Soon it becomes clear that an unknown virus has broken and the whole world is affected.  However, losing the ability to smell is one thing, but when other senses start to follow, society starts to break down when people begin to ask themselves how far this virus is going to go.

I would certainly use `gripping' to describe 'Perfect Sense,' although its bleakness may be its undoing for some.  I actually find this to be one of the scariest films I've every seen.  There's no monsters, no 'jump-scares,' or gory scenes involving a chainsaw - just a highly-believable story and a premise that is too chilling to contemplate.

I'm not sure if I enjoyed it in the traditional sense or not. I certainly felt my hour and a half was well-spent, but it's not a film I'd watch on a regular basis. You may need a serious fix of something light, daft and fluffy afterwards (Richard Curtis, I'm looking at you).

If you can stand the bleakness and scarily-realness of a film like this, you may enjoy it. You may even forget that not a single recognisable landmark gets destroyed by an alien mother ship along the way.

8/10 The Force is definitely strong with this one

No comments:

Post a Comment