Friday 27 September 2019

Maniac (remake) - You don't have to be mad to watch this...

...but it probably helps. I haven't seen the 1980s original `Maniac' film that this is based on, but I have heard that this is an `improvement' (a rare claim for a horror remake). This can only make me wonder what the original was like to begin with.

First of all, this film is gory. If you haven't got a strong stomach then you might as well stop reading now. The effects aren't comic. They're supposed to be realistic and they succeed.

However, gore doesn't make a movie. There has to be a little more. And there is just... a little more to it. First of all Elijah Wood is suitably creepy as the titular character, going around slaughtering almost every woman he comes into contact with. And the film is almost completely shot from his point of view (ala `Peep Show,' but with more decapitations). However, despite the film's deliberately dark tone, decent acting and excellent prosthetic make-up, I just couldn't seem to get involved with the film.

It just came across as `another slasher film,' only with a reasonably well-known actor in it and some decent gore. I don't know what was wrong with it that stopped me from thinking this was a classic - perhaps it was the lack of story? It just seemed to amble from one kill to the next.

I didn't hate it, but I didn't love it as much as I thought I would either. People who dislike violence should steer well clear - you have been warned!

6/10 May just keep you awake if Freddy Krueger was haunting your nights

No comments:

Post a Comment