Sunday 12 May 2019

Maleficent - Evil has never looked so good

Okay, so, like many, I grew up on the animated Disney film, ‘Sleeping Beauty,’ so I flatter myself that I know the story pretty well.  I was sceptical about how well dragging out the ‘villian’s’ side of the tale would translate into a full length live-action movie, but I was pleasantly surprised.

For a start it had a big advantage with Angelia Jolie in the lead role.  She does seem born to play the titular evil fairy, Maleficent.  Obviously, the story does follow Sleeping Beauty for the most part and I actually got a little bored, technically just watching a live-action version of the classic fairytale.  However, when it changes, it changes.

I won’t go into too much detail, but the film-makers use a fair amount of creative liberties to stray from the story we know so well.  Let’s just say if you think you know the story, then you’ll probably be surprised by what transpired.

Of course it’s not perfect, but then my main gripes came from the excessive use of computer-generated scenery.  I always get a bee in my bonnet when I watch a fantasy film (think Tim Burton’s Alice in Wonderland, or Oz: The Great and the Powerful).  I think I’m too old to allow myself to let go and just enjoy the story.  All I can see is *technically* Playstation 3 graphics talking on screen next to the odd real actor or actress.  Plus the three ‘good’ fairies just looked weird (in my humble opinion).

But the film does its job at breathing new life into an old (and well-known) tale.  It should be enjoyed mainly by children, but it shouldn’t be beyond finding its way into the hearts of adults, too.

7/10 if I woke up on Groundhog Day and had to watch this again, I could live with that

No comments:

Post a Comment