Friday 3 May 2019

13 Sins - I will dance for the golden toad

I just love that line.  Even if ’13 Sins’ was totally rubbish I think I’d still feel like I’d got my money’s worth simply for that line about ‘dancing for the golden toad.’ However, the film is actually pretty good anyway, so the ‘golden toad’ bit was just a happy bonus.  Okay, it’s not a classic, but it’s watchable enough to be entertaining.

It’s about a man who’s down on his luck financially and gets offered the chance to turn his fortunes around with the help of a mysterious phone call.  The anonymous person on the other end sets him various takes, starting with mundane and easy then progressing to sinister and illegal – all for varying ‘cash prizes.

Now, if you can get over the fact that most of us would tell this caller where to go when he starts ordering us to break the law, you’ll probably enjoy the film.  Obviously our hapless hero obeys the rules of the game completely, otherwise it would be a pretty dull (and short) movie.

So, if you can suspend your disbelief over that minor plot point, you’ll find a half decent film in there somewhere that should entertain you for an hour and a half and there are a few plot twists in the film that you might not see coming, but I won’t go into too much detail on that one.  Also, just for a bonus, you have Ron Perlman in there.  Granted he’s used a fair bit in the marketing purposes, but, in actuality, he’s really only a peripheral character, but he’s still cool anyway.

Just make sure you ignore the bit where our hero ‘bars’ a door from the pursuing police officers by swiftly balancing a (not particularly study) chair next to it.  Somehow that keeps them out completely.  I laughed, but I still enjoyed the film!

7/10 if I woke up on Groundhog Day and had to watch this again, I could live with that

No comments:

Post a Comment