Monday 21 May 2018

The Island - Better than you've heard

Back when 'The Island' was released in 2005 I'd never really heard of its director Michael Bay.  It was before he - dare I say it - 'ruined' the 'Transformers' and 'Turtles' franchises, so I went to see this expecting a decent sci-fi movie with a couple of actors (Ewan McGregor and Scarlett Johansson) who I enjoyed watching on screen.  And, I got just that (apart from a lot more action than I'd bargained for!).

It was only after the film was released did I start hearing words like 'flop' and 'bomb' to describe it.  And, I was pretty shocked.  I couldn't see much wrong with it - if you're in the mood for something big and loud.  I won't go into too much detail about the plot, but it's set in the near future where the population lives in a colony that's been sealed off from the rest of the world due to 'contamination.' The only thing these survivors look forward to is the possibility they will win a random lottery and be sent to 'the island' to live the rest of their lives in luxury.  Now, if that sounds a little strange, it is.  Naturally there's more going on than meets the eye and I'm sure that Sean bean has a hand in it.

Although it was kind of billed as a 'sci-fi' movie (looking like a modern day version of 'Logan's Run') it actually turned out to be more of an action-chase movie with just a hint of sci-fi.  Our two young heroes find themselves pursued relentlessly through... well, you'll have to watch it to find out.  And, for an action film, it does actually ask a few deeper questions about morality and the nature of humanity than most 'shooty-shooty' type films.  Don't worry, it doesn't get too preachy.  Yes, the typical Michael Bay explosions are in there (watch out for fireworks going off among the carnage every time anything blows up!) and there's more helicopters than you've ever seen in your life.

I'm not saying that it's an epic masterpiece, but it has a great cast (did I mention that Steve Buscemi is also in there?), but it's got a budget and looks visually stunning, plus it's exciting.  If you're into action movies then you should definitely watch this one.  It's big, explosive popcorn fun (and it doesn't mess up any childhood memories).  If you've noticed Michael Bay's name attached to this, don't automatically hate it. 'The Island' feels more at home with his earlier films - do you remember those?  People actually liked them!

8/10 The Force is definitely strong with this one

No comments:

Post a Comment