Monday 21 May 2018

Bad Neighbours - Not bad (but not as good as the first)

Admittedly, I only watched the first 'Bad Neighbours' movie the once (and it was a while ago), but I definitely remember enjoying it as some harmless, adult comedy-entertainment.  I wasn't expecting anything too original in the sequel, just more of the same.  I guess I got more of the same - it certainly felt like a movie in the franchise, only without as many laughs.

It's a shame, because everything else was there.  All three of the major stars return for the sequel (Seth Rogen again married to Rose Byrne and Zac Efron floating living nearby).  And, if this wasn't enough, the ever-popular Chloe Grace Moretz is the new addition when she moves in opposite Seth and Rose, just as they're trying to sell their house, and sets up her own loud-party-loving sorority house opposite.

Yes, the story is effectively a retread of the first one, only replacing Zac Efron's 'annoying neighbour' with Chloe Grace Mortz), but I was prepared for that - like I say, I wasn't expecting anything too original - just funnier!  Don't get me wrong, I didn't hate it - some of the jokes landed and I did chuckle here and there.  I just didn't enjoy it as much as the first.

Maybe because I'm an 'oldie' these days, I found myself rooting entirely for the adults and therefore despising all the 'kids' (and their motivations!).  Perhaps if I was still into getting drunk and partying every night I would have been on Chloe Grace Mortz's side and found the adults super-annoying and overly-oppressive.  However, my party years have long gone and I can only now sympathise with the plight of someone trying to sell their house and how difficult it is at the best of times without having a house full of obnoxious teens opposite.

Like I say, I didn't hate it or feel that it was a waste of my time.  I just won't be watching the sequel again, whereas I can probably see myself putting on the original at some point in the future when I need a relaxing little adult comedy to rest my brain to.  I get the impression it wasn't just me who found this sequel inferior.  I can't see there being a 'Bad Neighbours 3!'

6/10 Should probably keep you awake if Freddy Krueger was haunting your nights

No comments:

Post a Comment