Tuesday 15 May 2018

Jeepers Creepers 3 - Should have stopped at 2

I have mixed feelings towards the 'Jeepers Creepers' franchise.  I didn't actually enjoy the first outing, finding it all a little frustrating that the heroes never really did enough to escape their monstrous, winged tormentor.The second one was more fun (if a little 'all over the place') and I remember the film-makers stating at the time, that the reason the 'Creeper' only attacked every 25 years was to prevent sequels from being made.  Apparently, we're now '25 years later' since part 2.

Yes, the big ugly bat-man, monster-thing is back after another 25 years and looking to kill and generally murder his way through anyone the plot dictates.  And, this time he has a whole new load of powers.  In fact, if he can kill you with his spear and various weapons, he will.  If the way he kills you defies all known physics, it just happens that way.  I guess the writers figured that because it's a 'straight-to-DVD' horror, no one would really care.  I certainly didn't care... about the whole film.

Like I said, I liked the second instalment even though it had multiple stories and themes which didn't always blend as well as they could.  However, Part II is a work of story-telling genius when compared to what follows.  You have characters - you won't remember any of their names, so I won't bother to try and list them.  Each is either hunting the monster or destined to be a victim of it.  The characters aren't given any real traits more than the one-dimensional types they start the first scene you'll meet them in.

So, the characters you won't care about.  The deaths are vaguly gory, if that's what you're looking for, but the Creeper himself just seems so overpowered that you know there's nothing anyone can do about him (until the end where the human-cattle at least have a shot at stopping him).  Plus you see the monster from the beginning.  I know that - by any third instalment - the audience is probably well aware of what the creature looks like.  It's just that at least NOT showing him all the time gives him an air of mystery.  Now he's just another man in a rubber suit.

As you can guess, I really didn't care for this one and struggled to get through it.  I know that the first one was popular so, even if I didn't 'get' it, there must be plenty of horror-buffs who did.  From what I understand people - like me - did like the second part, so my advice would be to forget this one completely and stick to one or both of those two.

2/10 Scuzzier than the leftover goo from a Queen alien's egg sack

No comments:

Post a Comment