Friday 28 May 2021

The Strangers - Strangers in the night 

When you watch a film and you see the protagonist's life is in danger, one of the questions you probably ask yourself is `What would I do in that situation?' In horror films it happens more than most.

The Strangers is about three unknown people who mercilessly stalk a young couple at their home in the early hours of the morning. So, when we watch it, we picture our own home - how would we defend it? What random blunt objects could be turned into makeshift weapons to fight back with? And, of course, how would we escape?

In The Strangers, the answers would probably - get gun and walk out of the dangerous situation. Sadly, neither man or woman involved ever considers this. Okay, from time to time, one of them might do something we would try - the idea of hiding in a room and pointing the gun at the only way in is a decent enough suggestion. However, that quickly gets abandoned due to a convenient plot device.

This review is based on my second viewing of The Strangers. I quickly forgot it after the first viewing, but I like Liv Tyler and Scott Speedman, plus I like horror movies, so I thought I'd give it another go. The second time I turned it off just before the hour mark. It was getting too annoying.

On the plus side, there are some bits that make you jump in the first third and the violence in the last act will satisfy the more bloodthirsty among us (I remember that from my first viewing - I never got to it second time round).

It's an okay film, but the baddies SHOULD be overcome easier than the central characters seem to bother with.

5/10 a hard trek, a bit like unicycling to Mordor and back

No comments:

Post a Comment